The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP), an energy efficiency and conservation program administered by the New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR), pays for weatherization services to eligible residential clients — pays to provide proper insulation, to seal drafty windows and doors, to replace poorly functioning heating systems – and much more.
Community Environmental Center (CEC) provides weatherization services for building and home owners in parts of Brooklyn and Queens.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR WEATHERIZATION?
* Multifamily buildings owners, if 50% of the tenants meet the HEAP income eligibility guidelines.
* 1-4 family home owners, if you meet the HEAP income eligibility guidelines, based on household size and 60% of the New York State median income.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR A BUILDING OWNER?
* J-51 tax exemption and abatement benefits for the entire cost of the work, including the WAP grant
* Higher R-value because roof cavities will be filled with cellulose insulation
* Reduced operating expenses and maintenance fees
* Savings on heat and water costs and electrical bills
* Improved tenant-owner relations (fewer complaints that “There’s no heat.”)
* A sustainable building that will attract and keep tenants
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR OWNERS OF SINGLE-FAMILY OR 1-4 FAMILY HOMES?
* Lower electric, gas, oil and water bills
* A comfortable and safe home: warm in winter, cool in summer and no health or safety hazards
* The value of your home will go up
* You will help protect the environment, for you and your entire family
STEPS TO WEATHERIZATION
1. Call Community Environmental Center (CEC) at 718-784-1444, ext. 108 and speak with Sarah Gaddis. Or email sgaddis@CECenter.org
2. Tell Sarah that you want to find out if your building or home is eligible for government-assisted weatherization. Even if the answer is no, there are other programs that CEC can recommend
3. If you are eligible, CEC will first schedule an Energy Assessment of your building or house, at your convenience, to identify specific needs
4. Then CEC will schedule a time for a skilled crew, certified by the Building Performance Institute (BPI), to perform the weatherization.
CEC has 20 years of leadership in the weatherization field and provides reliable, high-quality energy efficiency and conservation services.